Response and Information to COVID-19
Dearest CCS Families ~
What a blessing you all are to us! We appreciate so much the way you have stepped in and become “teachers.” Well….this will be the new normal for the next 7 weeks. According to Governor Kate Brown’s order yesterday, we will not be returning to in person classrooms but will continue with distant learning through the end of the school year. I personally watched her 55-minute announcement so that I would know firsthand exactly what she is putting in place. Please read through this email, and hopefully we answer questions you might have.
- 3rd quarter grades – Report cards for the 3rd quarter will be coming via email on Monday, April 13.
- Class schedules – We know that trying to keep track of where each class can be found can be a challenging task. To help make this easier, we have put it all in one place for you. Attached you will find an orderly schedule of what each class is doing, when it is meeting, and where you can find the information.
- End of school year – Because we have not missed any class days, there is no need for us to extend the school year into June. Therefore, our last day of school for all grades – including seniors – will be Friday, May 29. All homework, hardbound curriculum books, and chromebooks need to be turned in to your student’s teacher or the CCS office by the end of this day. This will give you the entirety of June, July, and August off for summer as school will resume on Tuesday, September 1.
- 4th quarter grades and credits – The work your students are doing from April 1 – May 29 will comprise their 4th quarter grades. It is imperative that high school students complete and turn in all class work in order to earn credits that will put them on schedule to graduate. Failure to do so could mean repetition of a grade/class, credit recovery and make up on one’s own time, and/or jeopardize graduating on time.
- Graduation ceremonies – One of the points that Governor Brown emphasized was that schools should NOT forgo graduation ceremonies. Therefore, Country Christian will still hold the graduation festivities; HOWEVER, it might not be on the dates presently scheduled. Graduations will take place once the social gathering limitations have been lifted. That being said, if we are unable to hold ceremonies at the end of May where they are presently scheduled, we have set aside one weekend in the months of June, July and August to become graduation weekend. Once the ban is lifted with ample time to promote it, the ceremonies will occur. The grad weekend will consist of a “power Saturday” with Kindergarten graduation at noon, 8th grade promotion at 2:00 pm, and senior banquet at 5:00 pm. Then Sunday at 2:00 pm will be the senior graduation ceremony. The following are possible graduation weekend dates, so mark your calendars: June 27-28, July 11-12, or August 15-16.
- Senior and 8th grade trips – It is sorrowful to me to say that these will probably not be happening this year – or at least not as have been previously planned. These trips are parent driven, so you, parents of seniors and 8th graders, will need to make arrangements for this. Please be confident that the money raised will continue to be set aside in their class fund and accessible when needed.
- 2020-2021 Registration – Registration packets are ready for next year. You can pick one up from the office or download the forms from our school website – www.ccsmolalla.com. And remember, registration and comprehensive fees for the upcoming year have been waived! Get your paperwork in ASAP as we do need to purchase curriculum for next year in the near future.
- 2020-2021 junior high/high school schedule forecasting – We will email to you forecasting information for your junior high and high school students once it becomes available.
Hopefully that covers it for now. We will certainly keep you updated with CCS news as it occurs. Once again, you are so appreciated; and we are here to assist you in any way that we can.
Hope you all have a tremendous Easter!
~ Tom Axmaker
Country Christian Principal
UPDATE: 3/31/ 2020
Dear CCS Families ~
As we continue with school in a new way, we want you to know that as a staff we are committed to you. If you haven't already heard from your student's teacher(s), you probably will shortly. Several of the upper level courses are going all online. Many elementary classes will be doing weekly work packets with some online instruction.
We will help you in any way that we are able. Our teachers are working hard to continue to teach your kids and bring their education into your homes. Please tune in and avail yourself to the online instruction that our teachers are putting together.
A couple things to note.
1) Hard copy curriculum can be picked up on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays between 9:00 am and noon. If you are unable to come in, please give us a call so that we can work out another scenario that will work for you. As well, finished work is due the week following pick up.
2) If you need to pick up or drop off hard copies of homework, come to the elementary side of the buildings. We have the foyer lined with tables, each one labeled for a different grade level. You can pick up your packet of information and drop off homework all right there. If you are dropping off for junior high or high school, please make sure that it is labeled which teacher it is for.
3) Please be aware that due to social distancing, we will only be letting 3 people in the hallway at a time. Also, we ask that you adhere to all of the social distancing signs and policies that you will see when you enter the building.
4) Online classes and curriculum for individual classes will be available and due as the teacher outlines, so please pay attention to that.
5) Curriculum will be given out on a weekly basis. The purpose is not to finish as much as possible at once, but so that students will continue to work and learn on a regular basis.
6) Our teachers will be holding "office hours", so feel free to contact them via email, text, or phone call Monday-Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. If you have questions outside of that time frame, feel free to send them an email, but know that the response will not come until the next day. Our teachers have families too, and it is important for them to have some time "away from" work.
Thank you so much, parents, for you cooperation in all of this. We certainly couldn't do it without you! Hopefully this will end soon enough, but know that we are committed to you and your families until it is over.
Tom & Cheri Axmaker
Dearest CCS Families -
Due to the coronavirus health concerns, we continue to respond in faith rather than react in fear. We also respond with prudence and wisdom. Romans 13 verses 1 and 4 states: “Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God…For he is God's minister to you for good.”
Our Governor has made a statewide mandate for all K-12 schools in the state to close March 16th – March 31st because several schools have had difficulty remaining open due to staff and students out with illness. While this has not been a problematic issue for us at CCS, we willingly submit to that mandate. That being said, here is how Country Christian will move forward over the next 2 ½ weeks.
- The auction will still proceed as normal Saturday, March 14th. Please come out and support this annual fundraiser for our school.
- Students will be sent home with schoolwork for the six school days that we will be missing. Please see that they have completed their work and bring it with them when they return to class on April 1. In doing this, we will not need to make up any school days. If you have need of any help with assignments, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher via email or phone. We are more than happy to help however we can.
- At this time all athletic practices and games have been suspended per the OSAA until April 1st.
As well, we will have the TCC Dedicated Place (the building behind Lundmark Gymnasium) open from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM on the following days and are inviting any who are interested to come and pray with us. Please feel free to come for all or any part of the time.
- Tuesday, March 17th
- Thursday, March 19th
- Wednesday, March 25th
Thank you, CCS Families, for wading through this with us. We continue to lift Jesus up and know that He is our Savior and the Savior of our nation. Please feel free to contact us with whatever you might need. We are here to help in whatever way we can.
Thank you and many blessings!
Tom & Cheri Axmaker